2-Factor Authorization!

Discussion in 'Plugins & Modifications' started by Tyler, May 29, 2015.

1. Tyler

Tyler SpeedySRV Member

Local Time:
    7:03 AM
    Boon:
  2. Tyler
  3. Hello Forumers,

I am pleased to announce a 2-Factor Authorization method has been added to BoonForums to enhance the security of your forum accounts. Thanks to Google, we will be using the Google Authenticator application via your mobile device. Some of you may ask... How does this work?

How does it work?

First of all, you need some sort of mobile device (cell phone, tablet, etc). One in which you can download apps from the App Store. If you don't have either of those, then this will not work for you. If you've got what's required, continue reading. If anyone has your password, they will not be able to fully login without the 2-Factor Authorization code which is given to you via your mobile device.

1. Download 2 applications on your mobile device - Barcode Scanner and Google Authenticator.
    2. Head on over to the 2-Factor Authorization Settings.
    3. Make sure the box "Use 2-Factor Authentication" is ticked. If you don't want to use this feature, untick it.
    4. Click "Add a New Key." You may only add up to 2 devices.
    5. A QR code (the black box) will come up along with a code in which you can manually enter.
    6. Go to your Barcode Scanner on your device and hold the scanner over the QR code until it opens Google Authenticator on your device.
    7. A code will appear in the Google Authenticator application which you will need to enter every time you wish to login.
    8. A code is automatically generated every 30 seconds. So any time you are asked for the code, open the app and enter the code given.

I know this seems like a lot or could be a hassle, but it's well worth it if you'd like your account to be secured.

Media

[​IMG]
    QR code edited and manual code crossed out for security purposes.

[​IMG]

Note: If your mobile device doesn't have a camera, you cannot scan the QR code. You will have to manually enter it.
    Note: If either application is not supported on your device, I cannot do anything about that.
    Note: It is suggested you use "Barcode Scanner" as your scanner. If you can't get it, use different one.
    Note: You may set a "Trusted Device" which won't require an auth code for 7 days, then it'll be required to renew the 7 days.
    Note: You can never lose an auth code. If you lose your device, use the recovery link next to the auth code input box.

Enjoy!

MultiGamerClub, Superior and Adrian like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Registered User Member

Local Time:
    10:03 PM
    Boon:
  5. Hiro
  6. Nice idea, Tyler. But wonder could go to like they have to get your number and you just get a code then text it back to the sender..That would help a lot, I think. But, great job!! :headphone:

Tyler likes this.
  7. Tyler

Tyler SpeedySRV Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  8. Tyler
  9. No. The codes are generated through both applications. No phone number is required nor texting. This is all done through Barcode Scanner and Google Authenticator.

10. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Registered User Member

Local Time:
    8:03 AM
    If this would be on the hotel too as a feature, that'd be even better.

MultiGamerClub, Superior and Tyler like this.
  11. Tyler

Tyler SpeedySRV Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  12. Tyler
  13. I decided to upgrade the forum software to 1.5.0 Beta 1 which includes a built-in 2-Factor Authentication method that works the same way as this. Click here to use it.