"Be in school or be working"

Discussion in 'Debate' started by Cat, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Cat

Cat queen Member

Local Time:
    5:22 AM
    I find that a lot of parents have the mindset that you either need to be in school or have a job and anything else is unacceptable but I wanna know is this really right like why can't we have time off of both for ourselves? Why can't we take take off after highschool or college to have time before we dedicate the rest of our lives to work? My parents in particular seem to have it then head if you're over 18 and you have a job then good for you whatever but if you don't have a job your basically a useless member of society and I personally don't think that's right??

2. Mistress

Mistress murdered everybody Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  3. Mistress
  4. Snog:
  5. insanium
  6. depends on the person, i personally don't care as long as it isn't effecting what i'm trying to do with my life

7. Tyler

Tyler SpeedySRV Member

Local Time:
    3:22 AM
    Boon:
  8. Tyler
  9. I completely agree with either working or be in school. People will find themselves sitting around not doing anything with themselves and then when it's time for them to make other life decisions or something comes up in life where you need something, they're like "oh shit!" and then it's too late. It doesn't hurt to take a couple of months or so off from everything once you graduate High School but in your parents best interest - they want us to get our shit together before it's too late. You can't expect to be 21 and just now getting a job or deciding to go to college because you've then just wasted 3-4 years doing what with yourself? In that time, you are supposed to be preparing yourself to become an adult and be able to live on your own without your parents or struggling to live on your own because you choose not to do anything with yourself.

Personally, I'm not in college right now and my parents are fine with it simply because I'm working a full time job bringing in a lot of money. They don't mind because I'm 22 and as long as I can take care of myself and actually doing something with my life - they can't say anything. Of course, they can advise me what I can or should do better and whatnot, but they can't tell me how to live my life. But you need to think about it as they're your parents and are always out for the best of you. They think further in life then we do. Eg. We think about the present instead of the future and they think about the future of their kids which is why parents hound their children. When you have kids, you'll do the same thing.

Nonetheless, do what you think is best for you but make all of the money you can now so when you need it - you won't be out of luck.

Oscar, Pad, Gail and 2 others like this.
  10. Cat

Cat queen Member

Local Time:
    This wasn't really a super personal thing just cause I'm not struggling with this issue like college was never a decision for me I always knew I never wanted to go but I've got a job and pay my rent and on my way to moving out so I'm good although it did take a bit longer cause I never got a job til I was 20 but everything worked out and even without college I love my job and it would be something I'd want to do forever so I'm good there. It's more so my parents are hounding my boyfriend but i personally think it's okay he's taking time off because he did have a job but got laid off as the company wasn't making enough (v good job I might add he was a computer tech or somethin like that) and he hasn't had one since because of personal issues that he wanted to work out first before starting working again and now that he has sorted out he's looking again. My parents seem to think he should be out 8 hours a day all day handing out resumes tho .... lol like no

11. Tyler

Tyler SpeedySRV Member

Local Time:
    3:22 AM
    Boon:
  12. Tyler
  13. It goes back to what I mentioned in my previous post. Your parents are looking out for you and are doing it for the better. You may think you having a job and making money wouldn't put you in a position where you might struggle to have extra money to do things, but it will. This could then reflect on that you and your boyfriend live together and there's only one person in the house with an income. If there's personal problems going on, then of course - take the proper time to sort it out. But in the end, if there's only one person making the money and you're supporting the person with no income, you will face challenges in your life which may turn out ugly. You can't dwell on the past and stop yourself from exploring the opportunities out there that some others don't get to have. I am 50/50 with your parents though because 2-3 months off work is fine but any more than that without an actual reason why they can't work is a bit ridiculous. Personally, if I had kids, I would want them to become successful and be with someone who is also succeeding in life otherwise the lack of motivation wears off on the signification other and that's where becoming dependent on others comes in play.

I'm in no position to judge you or your boyfriend or make this personal, I'm more or so just answering your question from a perspective where I've found this out myself in the past. Please don't take this as if I'm making digs at your personal life or anything.

14. Pad

Pad ginger snap -hacked by amelia- Member

Local Time:
    10:22 AM
    Boon:
  15. Pad
  16. my parents have always had a simple and basic mentality, because its what they lived with. either be in school or get a job, doing nothing just means you are wasting time.

17. Mauvros

Mauvros PhD in dumbfuckery Member

Local Time:
    12:22 PM
    Boon:
  18. Matheos
  19. My mum left school with pretty much nothing and nows a PA for Larnaca Airports CFO. I dropped out of school with a few GCSE exams, and I'm now working past security lines in the airport.

You can do both or neither ad still make it, but given the chance I'd go back in time to school, would have been a lot easier

20. Deity

Deity dull Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  21. Deity
  22. ARENT U A CHEF

23. Mauvros

Local Time:
    Boon:
  24. Matheos
  25. Left my job in the Kitchen in Paphos because my boss was a massive fucking dickwad and moved up to another city, Applied for work in the kitchens but got declined so Im working as a Barista in Larnaca Airport.

26. Oscar

Oscar cute Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  27. Oscar
  28. I've always thought that after sixth form/ college I really want a gap year before going to uni, do something life changing like volunteer abroad, but the more I think of it I'd probably end up sitting at home doing fuck all for a year whilst all my friends are enjoying themselves at uni.

I think you should do what you feel is right for you, but at the same time in most cases parents want what's best for you, and are unapologetically truthful. For me if I'm having personal problems I actually prefer to be in a school or work environment, with things to distract me rather than sitting at home thinking about it and making myself feel worse.

I think in life people place such a pressure to finish school, go to college, go to uni and get a degree, and then work straight away. In the UK, the retirement age is something like 66/67, and many people work for years beyond that. So lets say you go to uni at 18 and study until you're 21, that then gives you 45 years to work, which is a lot of time. Personally for me I think that when people say you have to go straight to uni etc they're wrong, if you want to then go for it, but we have a lot of time in life to work, but hardly any to enjoy our youth.

29. Mauvros

Local Time:
    Boon:
  30. Matheos
  31. Adding to this. Work hard play hard.

You can study, earn & play. Play, earn, study. Any order and mostly all at once. Preferably find something that motivates you to continue along your set career choice (if you got one, and if not just go by ear), while learning at the same time. I don't mean studying Bachelors etc, In the real world, Paperwork and Qualifications are becoming obsolete. Way it works out here at least is, It doesn't matter what the piece of paper says, just as long as you can do it. Experienced that in the UK too. Although that doesn't mean drop outta school and try be the next Bill Gates.

I'm working at Costa Coffee in an International Airport, I'm not just learning coffee's and reciepes, when a few years back I had some IGCSEs in English and Geography. Except now I'm learning Finance Management, Security Protocol and a few other qualifications provided by the Airport. Didn't really ever think I'd take an exam in Internal Airside Security Protocol and PRM Rights but I am and its pretty fun.

I guess just you can do both as long as its something you're interested in and motivates you etc.

32. Pad

Pad ginger snap -hacked by amelia- Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  33. Pad
  34. its always fantastic to see people who complain that education teaches them nothing, it does.

teaches you that you get what you like by working hard.

35. Ralph

Ralph KING Member

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    Boon:
  36. ralph
  37. If you're not working nor at school you're basically using up your parents' money and doing nothing productive or returning anything useful.

38. Oscar

Oscar cute Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  39. Oscar
  40. Completely false that qualifications mean nothing these days, unless you want to be earning minimum wage doing a painfully boring job praying for an early death ud best get educated

Pad likes this.
  41. Cat

Cat queen Member

Local Time:
    not always tru the highest level of education I have is grade 9 ... And I'm perfectly happy working at my job ! Luv it more than anything lol

42. Imperial

Imperial Registered User Member

Local Time:
    11:22 PM
    Boon:
  43. Imperial
  44. My attitude to work has essentially been: Work in a field you're interested in otherwise you're wasting your life
    If what i want to do doesn't involve a job then I don't mind not having one for a period of time.
    We all die and most people don't get time to fill their bucket lists once they find out they're dying.

45. Lust

Lust Registered User Member

Local Time:
    9:22 PM
    Boon:
  46. Lust
  47. I do agree with the mindset in theory, that's the ideal way the world works, after all. You go to school to train to work in many ways if it's thought about. I know for me personally in high school I was taught things like routine and structure, also how to act in the workplace and whatnot.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME!

Honestly, this mindset is not (and by not I mean more often than not). always the way things work. Obviously there are reasons such as sloths can't be bothered to get their lonesome backsides off the couch to look for work because they're far too busy adding to their dirty sock collection, but there are indeed other.. sometimes inevitable reasons. Getting a job is damn hard. I know this for a fact. Took me nearly three years to land at the current place I work at, but you have to be persistent with these things. There could be reasons such as the person has no work ethic, perhaps social issues like anxiety and/or depression and other things. I understand perfectly that not everyone is capable of getting a job right here, right now. But what can you do if you don't try? If you have a talent or a passion for something I don't see why you wouldn't want to work in that field, personally.

At the end of the day it comes down to each and every one of us to shape our own path in life. Whether or not we want to take the steps to mold that shape is, well, up to us really.