Ohio State Attack: Terrorist attack or not/

Discussion in 'Debate' started by lola, Nov 28, 2016.

1. lola

lola Registered User Member

Local Time:
    11:20 PM
    Boon:
  2. lola
  3. As I'm sure many of you are aware, at about 10am on Monday Abdul Razaq Ali Artan plowed through a group of students crossing the road and then began to chase and stab people (For more information check out this article).

The 911 calls coming from the scene say "I think it's a terrorist attack" and many people are jumping to the conclusion that it is in some way affiliated with ISIS, but what are everybody else's opinions on it?

I personally think it was a terrorist attack since he committed an act of terror, I don't have any opinions or ideas on whether he was affiliated with ISIS or other radicle organizations .

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Registered User Member

Local Time:
    9:20 PM
    The Oxford Dictionary defines terrorism as "The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims" [1]. With that in knowledge, one can look at whether or not there was political influence. Abdul Razak Ali Artan was clearly an outspoken Muslim as judging by his interview regarding Muslims assimilating into Ohio State University and his political rhetoric posted on Facebook prior to the outcome America! Stop interfering with other countries, especially Muslim Ummah [community]. We are not weak. We are not weak, remember that." He was also known to have cited Anwar al-Awlaki, a notoriously radical Muslim within the UK.

I think that it is by definition a terrorist attack although I doubt his alleigances and ties to ISIS. A lot of lone wolf attackers who are self-radicalized profess alleigance to ISIS without any direct affiliation besides their statement of alleigance.

[1] terrorism - definition of terrorism in English | Oxford Dictionaries
    [2] Eleven hurt, suspect killed in 'terrifying' Ohio State attack

5. Oscar

Oscar cute Member

Local Time:
    10:20 AM
    Boon:
  6. Oscar
  7. if it was a white boy it would have been called a stabbing and there'd be some bullshit story about how the school system failed him and he was an abandoned child lol just because he's brown doesn't make it a jihad attack

8. Ralph

Ralph KING Member

Local Time:
    6:20 AM
    Boon:
  9. ralph
  10. [​IMG]
    There's religious motivation behind his act of terrorism. I don't see white kids shouting "In the name of Jesus" or any other religiously motivated phrase before committing attacks.

11. Sheldon

Sheldon Registered User Member

Local Time:
    9:20 PM
    Terrorist acts don't require any religious pursuit. Mainstream media does like to claim attacks carried out by Muslims as terrorism but America and the world have had their fair share of terrorists that aren't motivated by religion, but by political pursuits. They are known as domestic terrorists as they are citizens of the country or state in which they attack. Examples are: Timothy McVeigh (the Oklahoma City Bomber), Anders Breivik (right-wing terrorist of Norway), Squamish Five in Canada. Admittedly, a great majority of these attacks are undertaken by radicalized Islamists but that is not always the case. Political pursuits are the definition.

Mistress and Deity like this.