School Uniforms

Discussion in 'Debate' started by Kyle, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Kyle

Kyle Habboon Staff Member

Local Time:
    10:13 AM
    Boon:
  2. MOD-Kyle
  3. Should people have to wear Uniforms?

I am 50/50 as I think no because it costs quite a lot, especially if you have more siblings, and some are ugly and uncomfortable. Then again, I think yes because people might get bullied for wearing their style of clothing, also it shows that you can wear a uniform for your future job (That's what my school says) and it's smarter.

Tbh I don't really know, just hardly see the debate section active :(

What do you think?

(Sorry if there is already a topic like this?)

4. jojo

jojo Registered User Member

Local Time:
    2:13 AM
    Boon:
  5. sardonyx
  6. only two words, people:

NO UNIFORMS!

7. Ralph

Ralph KING Member

Local Time:
    6:13 AM
    Boon:
  8. ralph
  9. You're right saying that it may stop bullying since all people are wearing the same think, but if you actually think about it, if people can't bully you about your clothes, they'll find other things to bully you about. Doesn't entirely stop the bullying problem.

I personally go to a school that has no uniform code, just has simple dress rules (ex: no ripped jeans, etc..) and I rarely see any bullying of what others are wearing, and I think it actually helps you later in life in mixing and matching clothes.

10. Proscan

Proscan Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  11. Legend.
  12. its worth wearing them.... because if you dont at my school, Like come in, in non-school uniform shoes and get put in IER! (Internal exclusion room)

Kyle likes this.
  13. Pad

Pad ginger snap -hacked by amelia- Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  14. Pad
  15. the fact it covers up bullying is one major reason as to why uniform is allowed, but at the same time you gotta understand that it prepare people for the workplace. some jobs in particular will come with a dress code or even a uniform that comes with working the position, especially in retail and lower end jobs where you wear uniform to show customers and what not that you are there for assistance. yes I agree that they sometimes are expensive, however most places will allow a colour co ordination scheme so say the uniform colours are red and black, normally you can wear a red polo shirt and black trousers which you can get for heavily subsidised amounts at local stores.

those who mostly complain about uniform also, mostly just don't want to wear it because of the hassle of changing clothes after school. uniform reminds people about respect as such, and also gives people that sense of belonging.

Millenia and Kyle like this.
  16. Ashley

Ashley Guest

Local Time:
    4:13 AM
    Boon:
  17. Ashley
  18. I've never had to wear uniforms at school, but I kind of wanted to try it.. I've always hated trying to find something to wear, it's now come to the point where I just grab the first thing in my closet. Angers me

19. Kyle

Kyle Habboon Staff Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  20. MOD-Kyle
  21. Obviously attitudes will change upon the country you're from and if you have to or not. I thought it'd be an interesting debate, as all the responses I had heard were in my school and were obviously NO UNIFORM!!! Thus this topic.
    I know that, I suppose they're trying to decrease the topics a bully would pick out..
    Same in my school, ahaha
    I agree with what you're saying totally, especially the 'sense of belonging',
    I have never had to do that, because my school, you have to wear a uniform... I could imagine the annoyance of doing it though.

22. Aria

Aria Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  23. Aria
  24. I personally think school uniforms should be enforced for a couple of reasons.

For starters, no uniform takes away quite a lot of the "scholar feeling", what I basically mean is that without uniforms, people feel quite free; it doesn't feel like a learning environment. Schools are supposed to be taken for what they are, a necessary part in people's lives if they want to get educated. In your normal, everyday clothes you feel quite comfortable; at home. I'm not saying school shouldn't seem uncomfortable or frightening, it should be known to be taken seriously, and that feeling just doesn't really apply to when you're roaming freely in a place that almost always guarantees to get you best education and job.

Popularity can also come into reasoning, as well as bullying. Without uniforms, I highly doubt students wouldn't mind on what their piers would be wearing. Uniforms take out quite a lot of in the case of bullying. Yet like Ralphy said; "if people can't bully you about your clothes, they'll find other things to bully you about. Doesn't entirely stop the bullying problem.". I think what most people don't know however, is that nothing can just stop bullying completely. Schools can't do much in the case of bullying except expelling or formal talks with the bully but no-one can just physically give it an end with the click of a finger. Uniforms are the next best thing that schools can do.

This last one is quite similar to the first one yet I think it should deserve it's own little paragraph. No uniforms take people quite out of focus, especially if they just started allowing no uniforms all of a sudden. Coming from a school with a no uniform rule, the rare days that my school allows no uniforms turn into mini riots. I simply don't think that even if it was allowed, people wouldn't adapt to it very well. No uniforms also drag attention to what things shouldn't be problematic, such as what people are wearing.

I'll end this little rant before I go off topic. Good day.

25. pollyp

pollyp Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  26. ps
  27. Good point you raise OP

28. bud

bud yikes :( BoonForums Manager

Local Time:
    2:13 AM
    Boon:
  29. bud
  30. Basically kids from 1-12th grade tend to be immature and pick on what someone has to wear. Some people don't have the money to be buying good things to wear for school without people picking on you. I never had a problem with uniforms because it doesn't distract the kids from picking on each other for the things that they're wearing. Basically the point of uniforms is for everyone to be, look, and get treated equally. If you say people will find something to bully you about then that's just dumb. I've went to many schools and not once was I bullied about anything seeing as I don't put myself in drama where it's not needed. People who say schools don't enforce rules and punish bullies, then you're dead up dumb. Regardless if it stops bullying or not, no one has to feel ashamed for not having what someone else has. That's pretty much the point of it all... You can feel "free" outside of school. In school you go to learn, not feel free. You wanna feel free go sky diving or someshit don't expect it at school. You're going to get an education that half of you take for granted, stop worrying about what you wear lool..

Millenia likes this.
  31. pollyp

pollyp Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  32. ps
  33. Yer but if I gotta Detto I'd just not turn up 2 it!

34. lola

lola Registered User Member

Local Time:
    11:13 PM
    Boon:
  35. lola
  36. I think that the idea of uniforms is a pleasant one, it just how most schools enforce and regulate it that's the problem.

School uniforms were (more or less) created to stop any judgment between peers, as well as making the students look tidy and in turn the school looks nicer. Without even touching on the subject of school uniforms taking away from kids individuality, judgement and bullying for the way people and look and what they wear still happens when you're wearing a uniform, from personal experience, female students hill non-stop harass you if your skirt is too long/short, they will mock you for having a button undone and not having badges on your blazer. Bullying is constant, and having a regulated uniform does not stop it.

(This is speaking from personal experience as well as some accounts and posts about other people having the same experiance)
    Most schools tend to enforce uniforms in a very strict way, my school, for example takes us out of class to fix whatever is wrong without uniform since it is seen as untidy, and could distract other students. Other schools may do the same or they may has less harsh penalties for uniform infringements, but on a whole, they are taking away from our learning due to it.

This is again speaking from personal experience, but my school and a few other don't allow females to wear pants (and visa versa with males and skirts). I have actually protested about this in my school due to it being extremely sexist. My school's reasoning behind this, and i (loosely) quote is "Skirts are for girls and pants are for boys, that's how it's always been and that's how it should remain".
    Enforcing this idea on kids and teenagers can be extremely damaging, people will feel scared in their own body and not comfortable dressing the way they want too, as well as other people mocking, judging and even going as far as physically hurting/killing another person for wearing an item on clothing that 'isn't' for their gender.

On a whole, I think that uniforms shouldn't be a mainstream way handling problems within schools as well as them being used as a tool to enforce sexism.