Should homework be banned?

Discussion in 'Debate' started by Nerd, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Nerd

Nerd Ass Queen Senior Forum Staff

Local Time:
    9:33 PM
    Boon:
  2. Mary
  3. With it being finals week for a large amount of students (at least within the US), I figured this was fitting.

Debate Rules:
    1. Debates should have clear sides to the argument.
    2. Users should remain civil when debating these topics. Resorting to name-calling is not allowed.
    3. When posting a thread, the creator should give their own opinion in the main post as a starting point.
    4. If you state a fact, provide a source. You can't expect someone to believe that 98% of people with red hair die at the age 24* without a source.​

*This is a fact statistic that I made up for an example.

4. Syntax

Syntax Banned User Banned Member

Local Time:
    3:33 AM
    No. It shouldn't be banned,

5. Mistress

Mistress murdered everybody Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  6. Mistress
  7. Snog:
  8. insanium
  9. yes, ban it block it exile it

10. Sheldon

Sheldon Registered User Member

Local Time:
    1:33 PM
    I sat on this topic for a while. I'm studying a degree to become a primary school teacher at the moment and so I see that homework will be inevitable in my profession.

I think that it is a major grey area. Should it be banned? No. Should it be limited? Yes. I think homework should be given as work that hasn't been completed to a satisfactory level. Anecdotally, I know my girlfriend had hours of homework each day at her high school. Though she went to a rather prestigous college within Australia, such amounts equated to her and I both studying the same degree (Primary Education) and achieving roughly the same results (I am 0.5-1 average GPA higher). This is from Sheldon, who dropped out of school in Year 11 from a terrible publicly funded high school and didn't really achieve anything until entering University at age 21. So, in her case homework didn't help her any better from the transition of high school to university. I see that as academic burnout which once again, anecdotally, seems to happen quite a bit. However, if homework was given for tasks not satisfactorily completed it would allow students to catch up on work they haven't finished in order to complete the learning of skills and undertaking of knowledge required for that day.

Nerd, Kay and Winner like this.
  11. Winner

Winner God Member

Local Time:
    2:33 AM
    Boon:
  12. Winner
  13. Tbh, homework can be useful at times. But most of the time we don't get any where I go so its no biggie.

Nerd and Sheldon like this.
  14. Kay

Kay Cute Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  15. Kay
  16. Snog:
  17. kay
  18. No. The amount of homework some people get can be ridiculous. I get teachers telling us to enjoy our spare time because we cant be hitting the books all hours of the day but then the work I've got stacked up will take even longer than the time I have free. And (I don't know if this is just me but it probably isn't) once you've done one too many assignments, you start to slack and then most of the work that you spent so long to do is a pile of crap anyway.

Having said that, homework can seriously save people sometimes. Again if you're like me, you won't suddenly wake up one day with a strong will to revise. It helps people catch up and stay up there as well as understand how they're doing with their courses. For example, in my Religious Studies course, our folders (for our notes etc) aren't marked. The homework essays (which are exam questions) are the only way I can tell how I may roughly do in my exams and reflect on my teachers' input.

Nerd and Sheldon like this.
  19. gamerbunz

gamerbunz Registered User Member

Local Time:
    7:33 PM
    Boon:
  20. gamerbunz
  21. Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...... I think it is fine to have but not to where it is so time consuming, the time consuming work should be kept in school. I would like homework to be "catch up" "makeup" work. :p

22. esco843

esco843 Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  23. Narco
  24. Homework is used for you to practice what you have learned in school. Without homework everything you have learned would just fade away. That's the beauty of the human brain

Conn likes this.
  25. bang

bang BoonCreate Founder Member

Local Time:
    12:33 PM
    Boon:
  26. bang
  27. While it is a burden, I think it's good to revise in your own time - but with how excessive it is, yes it should be banned.

Conn likes this.
  28. Conn

Conn Registered User Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  29. Conn
  30. I agree with this, Homework is quite excessive and normally a lot of it is given out and is needed to be complete by a certain amount of time, although i never really did my homework, i still think its a good thing to do in your spare time, to just give your self some extra knowledge or to just remember certain things that you may have forgotten the day before maybe :)

amssssss and bang like this.