what does celebrating independence day really mean?

Discussion in 'Debate' started by Pad, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Pad

Pad ginger snap -hacked by amelia- Member

Local Time:
    10:24 AM
    Boon:
  2. Pad
  3. so, as a British citizen I still dont see the superior hype to july 4th and dont really get how its such a massive celebration. many americans I hear talk about the ide of freedom, yet at the time you still had a good few million slaves and many of whom have ancestry within the nation today

so what does independence day really mean?

4. Deity

Deity dull Member

Local Time:
    5:24 AM
    Boon:
  5. Deity
  6. "okay so maybe america sorta kinda maybe kicked out natives to make room for white people. then shipped over some africans in shackles and chains (the opposite of freedom) for some slave work. then set them 'free' but still held lynch mobs in the middle of town. but hey. fireworks."

we have this discussion about slavery every independence day, but it's sort of like this: "fuck y'all for what you did but i guess since i'm american i'll show a bit of pride. just a bit. still fuck you tho."

7. Pad

Pad ginger snap -hacked by amelia- Member

Local Time:
    10:24 AM
    Boon:
  8. Pad
  9. just dont get the reason of celebration, its the exact reason we dont celebrate any form of nationalist holidays, bar the victory of the second world war, which isnt even celebrated, just a commemoration of the atrocities.

10. Mistress

Mistress murdered everybody Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  11. Mistress
  12. Snog:
  13. insanium
  14. its the celebration of white male americans breaking free from daddy britain

15. Nerd

Nerd Ass Queen Senior Forum Staff

Local Time:
    Boon:
  16. Mary
  17. It's the holiday where I jump every 5 minutes because people can't watch a fireworks show at a park, and instead have to light them in their backyard. It's almost midnight and they're still going off. It's Monday night. I'm about to call the cops.

18. Cat

Cat queen Member

Local Time:
    half of America probably doesn't even give a shit about America it's just an opportunity to get drunk and be stupid with fireworks !
    same with Canada day.

Nerd likes this.
  19. Kaelyn

Kaelyn Registered User Member

Local Time:
    2:24 AM
    Boon:
  20. saveyoursouls.
  21. exactly, people just decide to celebrate by catching things on fire and polluting the air with smoke.