Why are Tampons considered a "Luxury"

Discussion in 'Debate' started by Imperial, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Imperial

Imperial Registered User Member

Local Time:
    11:21 PM
    Boon:
  2. Imperial
  3. Just saw that politicians still consider tampons a luxury for women

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but a luxury is something that is generally seen as an excessive want rather than a need. Calling tampons a luxury is like calling toothpaste a luxury. I bet no woman has ever put a tampon in and thought oh damn look at me being all stylish and fabulous. How is it a luxury not to bleed all over yourself. What is the logic of this

T J and Nerd like this.
  4. Nerd

Nerd Ass Queen Senior Forum Staff

Local Time:
    5:21 AM
    Boon:
  5. Mary
  6. I have no idea. It's stupid. Last I checked I couldn't control the blood waterfall that comes out of my vagina every month.

T J likes this.
  7. Mauvros

Mauvros PhD in dumbfuckery Member

Local Time:
    12:21 PM
    Boon:
  8. Matheos
  9. Politics amazes me.

T J likes this.
  10. Imperial

Local Time:
    Boon:
  11. Imperial
  12. I heard someone say well pads exist so tampons are a luxury
    to which my response would be
    Baking soda exists so toothpaste is a luxury

Mauvros and Nerd like this.
  13. Ashley_Nicole

Ashley_Nicole Buried Six Feet Underground Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  14. Halos
  15. Snog:
  16. drill
  17. Dumb ass male politicians trying to send women back millions of years. I bet those people calling tampons a "luxury" are those same people who only want women at home, working in the kitchen, expected to clean and do the male's dirty work while they make the money >.<

T J likes this.
  18. Mistress

Mistress murdered everybody Member

Local Time:
    Boon:
  19. Mistress
  20. Snog:
  21. insanium
  22. trick question because there isn't any

Imperial, Mauvros and Nerd like this.
  23. Nerd

Local Time:
    Boon:
  24. Mary
  25. Pad's are just as expensive. This is why when I see a free sample online somewhere, I fucking sign up for it.

26. Cat

Cat queen Member

Local Time:
    I can see how theyre a luxury compared to pads lol.. Pads suck and personally I feel like theyre v unhygienic... Like goodbye yoga pants and leggings. good bye thongs and g strings. With tampons I can wear alll those AND not have to worry about dried up blood on my vagina!!! woo!!

27. Imperial

Local Time:
    Boon:
  28. Imperial
  29. Probably

Tampons can be unhygenic too though, but only if you don't use them as directed.

30. Ralph

Ralph KING Member

Local Time:
    6:21 AM
    Boon:
  31. ralph
  32. A luxury is anything that costs more than a base object that does the same thing, if i'm not mistaken.
    For example, a car that costs 300,000$ is considered a luxury because there exists cheaper options that do the same job.
    In this case, politicians may see tampons as luxuries because there are cheaper alternatives, although some may be a little less comfortable or such, such as stated with the example of pads above, that do the exact same job as a tampon. If women want to go with the luxurious item (in this case a tampon) instead of the cheaper but less comfortable alternative then they should be taxed for it.

33. Cat

Cat queen Member

Local Time:
    yeah and they can also cause death if not used ad directed lol but the only thing u can do wrong with them is wear them for more than 8 hours.. And ur probably going to have to pee before 8 hrs anyway.

34. Imperial

Local Time:
    Boon:
  35. Imperial
  36. Walking, Bikes, Scooters exist. How is any car not a luxury
    Baking soda exists, Is toothpaste a luxury?
    Sleeping bags exist, Are beds a luxury?
    Tents exist, Are homes a luxury?

How far are we going with this?

Nerd likes this.
  37. Oscar

Oscar cute Member

Local Time:
    10:21 AM
    Boon:
  38. Oscar
  39. so tampons are a luxury but apparently these are essential:
    • Twiglets
    • Adult nappies
    • Flapjacks
    • Toffee apples
    • Edible cake decorations
    • Helicopters
    • Bingo
    • Crocodile meat
    [​IMG]

40. Ralph

Ralph KING Member

Local Time:
    6:21 AM
    Boon:
  41. ralph
  42. I don't live anywhere where tampons are taxed, so I can't really comment much on this debate. I just posted what I thought politicians were thinking when they voted tampons as a luxury.

43. Nerd

Local Time:
    Boon:
  44. Mary
  45. I can understand where you come from. It sounds like this isn't entirely an issue where you live. Here (USA), non-essentials such as clothing (even if it's $400), shoes (even if it's $500), and food isn't taxed. Yet an essential item, such as pads and tampons, are taxed. It's a little unfair. It costs about $7 for a box of tampons (which, I used to always need instead of pads because I swam competitively) and pads can be just as expensive as times. There are times when females use a whole box within 3-5 days. As I said, you can often get samples from companies, but a lot of the times they do one per household..which is an issue when your 13, just got your first period and your sister and mother use the products as well.

I'd also like to thank you guys, @lmperial @Alzheimer @Oscar , for being mature and not going, "Ew pads and tampons." I've tried to discuss this with people before and unless they're female I generally get, "Ew shut up." (even though I'm takling about an unused product and not describing the entire process -_-).

46. Imperial

Local Time:
    Boon:
  47. Imperial
  48. Blood is blood, the only time i'll say ew regarding that is when a girl complains about getting no action when she's on her period.. Like no that's just wrong and dangerous lol

Nerd likes this.
  49. Nerd

Local Time:
    Boon:
  50. Mary
  51. Well, I can understand their complaints about being...er...aroused, but not about actually expecting someone to want to have sex with her while she's on her period. That's disgusting. I once pulled out a tampon in the middle of English because i needed to go to the bathroom, and I got called disgusting for basically telling everyone I was on my period. It's like...excuse me I didn't know you were watching me pulling something out of my backpack. Luckily my teacher was a married man and told the kid to shut up.

T J, Mistress and Carrozzini like this.
  52. Imperial

Local Time:
    Boon:
  53. Imperial
  54. The people who are disgusted by periods have no experience with women. That's my hypothesis

Nerd likes this.
  55. JessDonachie

JessDonachie Registered User Member

Local Time:
    10:21 AM
    Boon:
  56. -Devon
  57. I don't know, I totally agree. I don't put a tampon in and think, oh yes, How luxurious. Its really the opposite, Trust me, if we had the choice not to wear them, trust me, we wouldn't. Its only because we don't want to stain our new white jeans xD

Nerd likes this.
  58. Nerd

Local Time:
    Boon:
  59. Mary
  60. Tampons can hurt...a lot.