Why you shouldn’t be scared of Habbo.com calling Retros - “Scams” and “Hacks”!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shorty, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shorty

Shorty Registered User Member

Local Time:
    3:29 PM
    Boon:
  2. Shorty
  3. Hey there!

I'm a Back-end Administrator/Developer at Habboon and want to talk about security and your data within Habboon.

Below are a few questions which I thought might be commonly asked, however if you comment below I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Is my data safe?
    At Habboon we use SSL which is the green lock in the URL meaning all your transmitted data is encrypted while it travels from your computer to our servers in Europe/America.

What data can you see?
    There are two types of access, staff access and root/administrator access.
    • Staff are able to view our ASE (All Seeing Eye/Staff Control Panel) after inputting two separate passwords. Once they have cleared our login security they are able to search for data like credits, emails, badges, inventory, trade logs, chatlogs they are also able to clone search which will reveal MachineIDs and an IP Address.
    • Administrators (Developers/Site Owners) are able to view the database which holds all the information we collect. Most of this data is plaintext for example all the furniture you own, rooms you own, chatlogs and user data meaning we’re able to view emails, IP addresses, private conversation logs and salted hashed passwords.
    What are salted hashed passwords?
    It's your password, but they are encrypted so we’re not able to access or see your password.
    For example, the password for the account “Test” is $73$vlHXPu4MdGe6N5pQzid5ueoLPfWcjTTXr.HONAp1lm0PI7uYob1zK when in actual fact, the password is probably something like test123, but we don’t know this as it’s your password and we respect your privacy and security.

What does your ASE login look like?
    After logging into our main Habboon website, staff have the option to login to "Housekeeping" once clicking into Housekeeping they are then asked to present their passwords.
    [​IMG]

What do your members of staff see on my profile?
    Staff can see your username, email, rank, IP Address, Machine ID and credits/pixels data.

Just like users, surely there are bad staff? What stops them from checking my IP and giving it out?
    All our staff actions are logged in two separate tabs.
    • Website Logs: Logs all actions within Housekeeping, including "Searched for username" and "Viewed user profile"
    • Client Logs: Logs most actions within Habboon, including commands used, moderator actions, chatlogs and trades.
    This means that we can actively monitor our staff and protect our user data.

Do you download bad software on to my computer?
    Absolutely not, we use the same client that Habbo use on their website to let you play Habboon.

So why do Habbo create these false claims?
    The truth is, some of what they claim CAN happen on certain retros like the ones your brother, friend or family have setup which is why you should always use different passwords to your official Habbo account.

Retros are just like any other website on the internet, we have our security perks but others might not have the same security.

Xylem, Wouto, Nytee and 6 others like this.
  4. Mauvros

Mauvros PhD in dumbfuckery Member

Local Time:
    5:29 PM
    Boon:
  5. Matheos
  6. Not to mention, it's very likely that a large portion of Habbo so openly calling out private servers as scams and hacks, is the obvious 'not wanting to lose out even more users', something Habbo has been experiencing in excess.

Nice thread, very informative.

Superior and Nerd like this.
  7. Nerd

Nerd Ass Queen Senior Forum Staff

Local Time:
    10:29 AM
    Boon:
  8. Mary
  9. I'm going to add my two cents here, I've been playing Habboon since around 2011-2012. While I'm no where near as active as I used to be, I still jump on to chat with people. I have never ONCE had any personal information used against me that I haven't openly given out before. Surprisingly, the only time I've ever been doxxed or DDoS'd was from someone I met on Steam, and that's because they had previously had my Skype username.
    Thread pinned.

Superior likes this.
  10. One

One Registered User Member

Local Time:
    2:29 AM
    Boon:
  11. One
  12. Another reason Habbo creates these false claims is to deter people from playing games other than theirs because the more people they have playing their game, the more money they can potentially make. But yeah, it is always wise to use a different password for different websites - for your own safety.

Xylem likes this.
  13. Nazi

Nazi High Roller High Roller

Local Time:
    10:29 AM
    I wouldn't call these "false claims". I believe Habboon Hotel to be one of the safest retros in terms of privacy and password security, but on other hotels there is no telling what kind of information they store. Just because Habboon encrypts user passwords doesn't mean that other, smaller retros do, which is why you should use seperate passwords.

Just be wary of the websites you go on.

Superior, Mauvros and Nerd like this.
  14. sai777

sai777 Registered User Member

Local Time:
    8:59 PM
    Boon:
  15. sai777
  16. Ty shorty as a future mod I wanted to know about these things..

17. odd

odd Registered User Member

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    Boon:
  18. Remind
  19. "future mod" that's the best meme I have seen in months

20. sai777

sai777 Registered User Member

Local Time:
    8:59 PM
    Boon:
  21. sai777
  22. In love with my money on fake habbo

23. Woof

Woof Registered User Member

Local Time:
    3:29 PM
    Boon:
  24. Kuster
  25. Glad this was posted, sick of people judging retros. Habbo is probably less safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.